Evacuated wildfire residents allowed to return home
Residents who were evacuated from a village in the Cairngorms have been allowed to return home.
Nethy Bridge homes were evacuated on Friday night but Police Scotland said on Saturday evening that the fire was no longer considered a major incident.
The blaze has raged for the past 10 days and forced the evacuation of homes in the remote village.
On Saturday night, Supt Judy Hill, of Police Scotland, said there was "no longer the immediate threat which prompted the evacuation of properties in Nethy Bridge."
This is thanks to the efforts of "fire crews, gamekeepers, contractors, partners and many others over the past 24 hours," she said.
First Minister John Swinney praised the "resilience and tireless efforts" of those on the ground to bring the blaze under control.
He added: "I want to stress however, that the Scottish government, the emergency services and all relevant authorities will continue to treat this wildfire, as has been the case since its onset, with the utmost seriousness and necessary resources until the last flames are out."
Mr Swinney said a request had been made to the UK government for "military assistance in aerial support" and that he was awaiting a response.
BBC Scotland News has approached the UK government for comment.
Sandy McCook said a major incident should have been declared sooner [BBC]
Sandy McCook, chairman of the Nethy Bridge and Vicinity Community Council, said residents of the Cairngorms village could see large plumes of smoke from the wildfire on Friday before they were evacuated.
"Apocalyptic is the word for the pall of smoke that was on the go [on Friday]," he said.
On Saturday at midday he said it was blowing towards Aberdeenshire and the North Sea, but the flames were still "very plain to see" from the outskirts of Nethy Bridge.
Emergency services previously said significantly changed weather conditions, including stronger winds, had contributed to the unpredictable behaviour of the blaze.
Cairngorm residents say wildfire response 'too slow'
Police declare 'major incident' over Cairngorms wildfire
Does Scotland have the 'game changer' helicopters it needs to fight wildfires?
Related Stories
Community
Congo's Ebola outbreak on track to surpass deadliest on record
3 hours ago
Community
Saskatchewan marshals special unit paused, new gear purchase called off: minister
7 hours ago
Community
Census politics revives Punjab’s Ad
9 hours ago
Community
Strangers in their own land: Mexicans deported from Trump’s America find refuge in ‘Little LA’
16 hours ago
Community
Duck race postponed due to low river levels
18 hours ago
Community
Winnipeg
1 day ago
Community
Mentors, advisors and community shape how Dayton startups are built
1 day ago
Community
Drunk driver who killed 2 in Sask. crash pre
3 days ago