FIFA defends Infantino against allegations tied to his time at UEFA
LONDON (AP) — FIFA has issued a statement defending its president, Gianni Infantino, against what it calls a “concerted and ongoing effort” to undermine his leadership of the organisation.
The statement was released Saturday, a day after a report by British newspaper The Daily Telegraph raising questions about an exit package paid by UEFA to a female staffer who worked with Infantino when he was general secretary of European soccer’s governing body.
UEFA confirmed that a “departure payment” was made to the employee and said it was “in line” with regulations at the time.
Infantino worked at UEFA for 16 years before being elected FIFA president.
In the statement Saturday, FIFA accused Infantino’s critics of trying to weaken his authority and remove him from office without due process.
“It is increasingly evident that there is a concerted and ongoing effort by some to undermine FIFA and its president,” the FIFA statement said.
“Those who do not have the support of FIFA’s member associations should not seek to achieve through allegation, insinuation or misinformation what they cannot achieve through FIFA’s established democratic processes.”
It said some reporting has included “unsubstantiated assertions and demonstrably false claims” which shouldn’t be presented as fact.
“Change inevitably challenges established interests, but disagreement with that change cannot justify efforts to undermine the democratic mandate of FIFA’s president or the institution he was elected to lead.”
Infantino faced intense backlash after details of his plan to sell World Cup profits to private equity were published. UEFA and two other continental confederations — North America’s CONCACAF and the Asian Football Confederation — rejected the plan.
He did receive backing from FIFA’s management board last Wednesday following a meeting in Morocco, and he apologsed over the process. UEFA’s threat to have its 55 member countries boycott FIFA competitions until the plan was scrapped remained, with UEFA saying Thursday that the announcement “changes nothing.”
While confirming the exit payment “was in line with the regulations that existed for departing staff at the time,” UEFA said the rules had been tightened since 2016 and currently “reflect those found in a modern, high-profile organisation.”
Follow The Gleaner on X, formerly Twitter, and Instagram @JamaicaGleaner and on Facebook @GleanerJamaica. Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169 or email us at onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com or editors@gleanerjm.com.
Related Stories
World
Zelenskyy details rift with Ukraine's dismissed defense minister Fedorov
4 minutes ago
World
Two men killed Hindu family in Bangladesh; stayed the night, ate, bathed, took drugs after murder | World News
4 minutes ago
World
Video. Latest news bulletin | August 23rd, 2026
1 hour ago
World
Pete Buttigieg returns to South Carolina as he weighs another White House run
3 hours ago
World
FLASH: Kejelcha regains world half marathon record with 56:51 in Buenos Aires
3 hours ago
World
Pairs figure skating Olympic medalists, Miura, Kihara, announce engagement | NHK WORLD
4 hours ago
World
Badminton
4 hours ago
World
Swedish sword attack victim was 17-year
4 hours ago