Friday, 21 August 2026 PDT | 09:49 AM
The 1 News Alt Logo Text Smart News for Global Indians

Hamilton fugitive arrested by ICE in California after decades on the run

Immigration August 14, 2026 12:04 PM
Hamilton fugitive arrested by ICE in California after decades on the run

Hamilton fugitive arrested by ICE in California after decades on the run

The man, now 64, was wanted for sexual assault charges

A Hamilton man who has been on the run since 1991 was arrested by the U.S.'s Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) in California, they said earlier this month.

Charles Peter Billone, 64, according to ICE, failed to appear in court after being released on a recognizance 35 years ago.

He was originally arrested in 1991 for charges of sexual assault and sexual interference.

ICE said in a post to X on Aug. 4 Billone was wanted in Canada for sexual assault involving a child and said "he has stolen property, assault, and drug convictions."

Hamilton police said in 2014 he had been able to evade being captured by changing his identity. Officers said at the time they couldn't find him "through any traditional means."

ICE said in its post to X Billone was in custody "pending removal proceedings."

Hamilton police spokesperson Jackie Penman told CBC Hamilton on Thursday the service has been "working closely with the Crown’s office on this case."

"At this time, there are no extradition proceedings," she said.

Hamilton man changed identity to run from sex charges: police

Aura Carreño Rosas is a reporter at CBC Hamilton. She's originally from Venezuela. She has extensive experience in covering stories about immigrants and migrant workers as well as interesting people with diverse journeys. You can contact her at aura.carreno.rosas@cbc.ca