Iran says US has revoked World Cup ticket allocation for their supporters
Iran’s football federation has said the United States has revoked its allocation of tickets for its team’s World Cup group games, accusing the cohost of obstructing the attendance of Iranian supporters under the shadow of a bitter diplomatic row.
“With less than three days remaining until the start of the 2026 World Cup … the United States has once again acted to obstruct the presence of Iranian supporters at the stadiums hosting the national team’s three group stage matches,” FFIRI said in a statement on Tuesday.
The US has presented several bureaucratic hurdles for Iran at the global football spectacle, including refusing to issue visas for some of its support staff, as the two countries have effectively remained at war since their February 28 attack on the country.
The Iranian football body said FIFA regulations dictate that it should be allocated 8 percent of tickets for each match, which are given to participating federations for distribution to their supporters through official channels.
According to the statement, FFIRI had already begun ticket sales for group stage matches against New Zealand, Belgium and Egypt – all to be held in the US – after receiving its quota, with some fans having already made necessary arrangements.
“However, in an unexpected move, the allocation granted to the Iranian Football Federation has been withdrawn, and under the current circumstances, the federation is unable to provide even a single ticket to supporters of the national team,” it said.
FFIRI described the move as “contrary to the spirit governing international competitions and the principle of equality among participating countries”.
It also called on FIFA and tournament organisers “to uphold the principles of neutrality, fairness, and established regulations, to provide the necessary conditions for Iranian supporters”.
Neither FIFA nor US organisers have publicly commented on the Iranian accusation.
The complaint is the latest dispute related to Iran’s participation in the World Cup, following visa issues that Tehran says have prevented some 15 administrative and management staff in its delegation from entering the US.
Rising tensions also prompted Iran to announce that it was moving its World Cup training base to the Mexican border city of Tijuana from Tucson in the US state of Arizona, as originally planned.
Iran open their campaign against New Zealand in Los Angeles on June 15, before facing Belgium in the same city on June 21 and Egypt in Seattle on June 26.
Related Stories
World
World champion Simpson won't return to running after revealing rare heart condition that caused her collapse
24 minutes ago
World
World Cup 2026: Argentina's Paredes banned for 10 games over World Cup final clashes
1 hour ago
World
Ngetich and Ebenyo lead Kenyan team for Copenhagen
2 hours ago
World
Is the world ready for English whisky?
2 hours ago
World
Trump faces backlash over reports US navy carrier could be named after him instead of Black war hero
2 hours ago
World
Data cards retrieved from plane and helicopter that collided in deadly Pennsylvania airport crash
3 hours ago
World
Barnstormers' Julien Monks uses baseball to see the world
3 hours ago
World
2026 market outlook: A multidimensional polarization
3 hours ago