Iran
The war in Iran appeared to be spreading on Wednesday after the Iran-backed Houthi rebels bombed two Saudi oil tankers off the coast of Saudi Arabia, threatening to further disrupt oil supply.
The Houthis claimed an attack on two vessels 70 nautical miles southwest of the port of Al Shuqaiq, saying they had violated a maritime blockade.
The incident had earlier been reported by the United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO), which said crews were attempting to extinguish a fire onboard. No casualties or environmental impact have been reported.
According to the Saudi Press Agency (SPA), which cited an official from the General Transport Authority, the incident caused a fire at the front of the ship.
It came after Iran’s foreign minister warned of an “eye for an eye” response if Donald Trump continues with his threat to bomb a bridge or power plant for every ship targeted in the Strait of Hormuz.
The US military said it had carried out a 12th straight night of strikes against Iran on Thursday.
US carries out 12th straight night of strikes as Iran-backed Houthi rebels bomb two Saudi oil tankers
Iranian state media report two dead in latest US strikes
Iranian state media reported that two people were killed in US strikes in southern Iran, near the country’s border with Iraq.
The deaths were reported as part of the latest wave of American attacks, which the US military said targeted “maritime capabilities, missile and drone storage facilities, coastal surveillance sites, and air defence assets”.
Centcom said in a statement on X: “The strikes further degrade Iran’s ability to attack civilian mariners and commercial vessels.”
According to Al Jazeera, explosions were reported in cities including Bushehr, Ahvaz, Sirik and Shalamcheh.
Centcom earlier today posted on X, saying it completed the 12th night of strikes on Iran.
WATCH: Hegseth says Trump should be praised for Iran conflict
Araghchi describes moment of US-Israeli strike that killed Ali Khamenei
Iran’s foreign minister Abbas Araghchi has described surviving a US-Israeli strike that killed Ali Khamenei on the first day of the war, saying he was pulled from rubble after a leadership compound was hit.
In an interview with Iranian journalist Javad Mogouyi, Araghchi said the US and Israel had accurate intelligence on the location of Iran’s top officials.
“What matters, in my view, is the fact that Israel had intelligence about these meetings,” Araghchi said, adding: “This may point to a security gap that probably still exists. This needs to be fixed.”
He said he has since been constantly moving around Tehran for security reasons.
Describing the strike, he said: “We were on the other side of the building, and after the explosion, the ceiling, walls, and everything collapsed on us. I grabbed Mr Hijazi’s hand (Khamenei’s deputy chief of staff, Ali Asghar Hijazi), and we made our way through the beams and boards and pieces of wood, hearing the cries for help.”
He continued: “Water was pouring from the ceiling. Everything was wrecked. We eventually got out, and I saw that various parts of the compound had been targeted.”
House passes defense bill with Trump’s $1T spending request and Department of War rename
The US House of Representatives has approved a defense policy bill that includes President Donald Trump's request for a substantial $1.15 trillion in national security spending and proposes renaming the Department of Defense to the Department of War.
The legislation, which also mandates a 5 percent to 7 percent pay increase for service members next year based on rank, marks a significant departure from the typically bipartisan nature of the annual National Defense Authorization Act.
The vote, a narrow 216-212, underscored deep divisions, with Democrats voicing strong opposition. Their concerns centered on the considerable spending hike for the Pentagon, particularly as Republicans simultaneously sought to cut numerous non-defense programs through other legislative efforts.
Trump warns Iran of retaliation if ships are targeted in Strait of Hormuz
US president Donald Trump warned Iran that the US would target Iranian infrastructure if Tehran continued attacking ships in the Strait of Hormuz.
In a post on Truth Social, Trump said that for every ship hit by Iranian missiles, drones or other weapons, the US would destroy an Iranian bridge or power plant, including facilities near Tehran.
He wrote: “From this point forward, any time the Islamic Republic of Iran shoots at a ship in the Strait of Hormuz, whether it be by Missile, Rocket, Drone, or any other device or weapon, the United States will bomb and destroy ONE BRIDGE OR POWER PLANT, including those located next to, or in, the Capital City of Tehran.”
Iran’s foreign minister Abbas Araghchi responded by warning of an “eye for an eye” retaliation, saying any attack on Iranian infrastructure would trigger a “powerful and decisive” response.
Chinese supertankers carrying Saudi oil head for Red Sea exit despite Houthi threats
Two Chinese supertankers carrying a combined 4 million barrels of Saudi crude were heading towards the Bab el-Mandeb strait on Thursday, despite escalating security risks in the Red Sea.
Shipping data showed the vessels were continuing their journeys even after at least one Saudi-owned ship was attacked in the region and Yemen's Houthi rebels claimed strikes on two Saudi oil tankers.
Their transit is expected to test the Houthis’ recently announced maritime blockade on Saudi Arabia.
According to LSEG shipping data cited by Reuters, the Singaporean-flagged Xin Long Yang, which had briefly halted in the Red Sea earlier this week, resumed sailing towards China’s Qinzhou port, while the Chinese-flagged Cosnew Lake continued towards Huizhou in Guangdong province.
Both ships indicated they had Chinese crews on board through their automatic identification system data.
WATCH: Trump claims Americans are not against the Iran war despite all polling showing they are
Oil prices climb above $95 amid escalating US-Iran tensions
Oil prices rose above $95 a barrel for the first time in six weeks as the escalating US-Iran conflict fuelled concerns over disruptions to global energy supplies.
The increase was driven by renewed tensions around the Strait of Hormuz and Houthi threats to target vessels carrying Saudi oil through the Bab el-Mandeb strait.
The rise came after the 11th consecutive night of US strikes on Iran, with Donald Trump warning military action would intensify.
Analysts at Goldman Sachs said oil prices could climb to $120 a barrel by the end of the year if exports through Hormuz remain disrupted, according to the Guardian.
US military says 12th consecutive night of strikes on Iran complete
The US military said it had carried out a 12th straight night of strikes against Iran.
In a statement posted on X, US Central Command (Centcom) said American forces targeted Iranian military infrastructure, including maritime assets, missile and drone storage sites, coastal surveillance facilities and air defence systems.
Centcom said the latest attacks were aimed at further weakening Iran's ability to target civilian mariners and commercial shipping.
Related Stories
Careers
Libya’s brain drain, 15 years after Tripoli fell
6 hours ago
Careers
Editor of military news outlet that first revealed US aircraft carrier crisis says he was fired over interview
20 hours ago
Careers
Measles outbreak exposes hospital vaccination gaps
1 day ago
Careers
Jailed ex
1 day ago
Careers
Prince Harry and Meghan moving back to the U.K.
2 days ago
Careers
White House faces scrutiny over top Trump aide Natalie Harp
2 days ago
Careers
Frank Beard, ZZ Top’s drummer, dead at 77
2 days ago
Careers
Trump threatens Oman over Strait deal
3 days ago