Porter flight cancelled after child refused to wear seatbelt for takeoff
A Porter Airlines flight was cancelled after a young child repeatedly refused to wear a seatbelt during takeoff, forcing the aircraft to return to the terminal.
In a statement to Global News, Porter said that on Aug. 6, the aircraft had already left the gate and was taxiing toward the runway scheduled for Toronto, when the child stood up and refused to buckle their seatbelt.
The airline said both the child’s accompanying parent and flight crew tried to resolve the situation but were “unsuccessful.”
“The aircraft could not take off in this unsafe condition, so the crew elected to return to the terminal and have the passengers disembark,” Porter said.
Porter said the aircraft returned to the terminal, where the passengers were asked to leave the plane and their baggage was removed.
The airline said the additional time required to complete those steps and refile the flight plan meant the flight could not depart before Victoria International Airport’s (YYJ) runway closed at 12:30 a.m.
As a result, the flight was cancelled.
“We apologize for the effect this had on other passengers, who were able to depart on a flight the following day,” the airline said.
Related Stories
World
Fast
55 minutes ago
World
Tropical Storm Moke dumps more rain on hurricane
55 minutes ago
World
Iran ‘invited’ to join Pakistan-Turkey
55 minutes ago
World
Sovereign prerogative or federal overreach? The politics of denying foreign visages
56 minutes ago
World
Xabi Alonso backs ‘world
1 hour ago
World
Nordic soccer associations have 'lost confidence' in FIFA boss Infantino
1 hour ago
World
Nordic nations ‘have lost confidence in Infantino’, demand FIFA reforms
1 hour ago
World
Mother and son build bond through competition at World Championship Horse Show
2 hours ago