Quebec man who murdered 6 people dies in Saskatoon prison
A Quebec man who had been serving a life sentence for the murders of six people has died in prison.
Correctional Service Canada (CSC) said Steeve Racine died Aug. 7 at the Regional Psychiatric Centre in Saskatoon.
Racine, 62, had been serving a life sentence since Aug. 30, 1991, for six murders that occurred over a decade, reporting from the Montreal Gazette indicates.
The Gazette reported in July that Racine was recently denied parole; he was diagnosed with a terminal cancer late last year.
The inmate’s next-of-kin have been notified, CSC said.
“As in all cases involving the death of an inmate, the Correctional Service of Canada (CSC) will review the circumstances,” it said in a news release Tuesday.
“CSC policy requires that the police and the coroner be notified.”
Related Stories
Canada
Canada's Victor Lai wins second world badminton bronze medal
34 minutes ago
Canada
Trump hits back at Canada after retaliatory tariffs announced
35 minutes ago
Canada
Here's why the Bank of Canada is worried about the rise of private credit
35 minutes ago
Canada
Trump Issues First Response After US
1 hour ago
Canada
From business leaders to sports fans, Canada responds to trade war escalation
2 hours ago
Canada
Canada's an agricultural superpower. Could it feed the whole world?
2 hours ago
Canada
Two accused of murder after cyclist was punched
3 hours ago
Canada
‘Deeply disappointed’: Smith weighs in on collapse of trade talks
4 hours ago