Toronto police officer dead after investigation tied to U.S. consulate shootings: Chief
Toronto police officer dead after investigation tied to U.S. consulate shootings: Chief
Officers executed search warrant at residential building Thursday morning, prior to shooting
A Toronto police constable, 43, has died after being shot following an exchange of gunfire with a suspect in the northwest end of the city Thursday morning, according to Chief Myron Demkiw.
The investigation that occurred prior to the shooting was linked to several other incidents involving firearms around the Greater Toronto Area, said Demkiw at a news conference Thursday morning. This includes one that took place at the U.S. consulate in March.
On Thursday, police were carrying out a search warrant at a residential building near Tretheway Drive and Black Creek Drive around 5:42 a.m. when an "exchange of gunfire" broke out and led to an officer being shot, said Toronto police on social media.
"There's a very heavy sorrow in our community right now," Demkiw said through tears at a news conference outside Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre.
Const. Marc Pinizzotto was "a hero in life, not death" and served with the Toronto Police Service for 18 years with the last five years on the emergency task force (ETF), he said.
"No words can capture the impact on Marc's family, who expected him to come home today," Demkiw said. "We are doing everything we can to support them at this difficult time."
Toronto paramedics said two people were taken to hospital earlier this morning, one with critical injuries and another in life-threatening condition.
Demkiw said one suspect is in hospital receiving emergency care.
He said a 19-year-old suspect was still outstanding and urged the man to turn himself in. Demkiw said the suspect was related to the broader investigation, which saw several search warrants executed today, and not necessarily the officer's shooting.
Demkiw warned residents to contact police immediately if they see the suspect, who is considered armed and dangerous.
Pinizzotto's family is devastated by the "heartbreaking" loss, said Toronto Police Association president Clayton Campbell.
“Our members put their lives on the line every day, and it is a tragedy that Marc did not return home safely to his family," he said.
Police call shooting at U.S. consulate in Toronto 'national security incident,' seek 2 suspects
'Shaken to our core': Jewish community urges action against antisemitism after GTA synagogue shootings
The officer's loss and the family's grief is shared by residents across Toronto, said Mayor Olivia Chow.
"We are so grateful for all who serve and continue to stand with those who keep our community safe," she said, adding she knew Pinizzotto's mother for over 20 years.
Demkiw said investigators and law enforcement officials met with the officer's family at the hospital to confirm the news.
"We will lean on each other as we navigate our way through this devastating tragedy," he said, adding that ETF officers are trained to the "highest standard."
Toronto police investigation tied to U.S.: ambassador
The warrant executed before the shooting "may be linked to the United States," said U.S. ambassador Pete Hoekstra at an unrelated trade conference Thursday morning.
"Our thoughts, our prayers are with the family of the police person who was killed," he said.
Federal Conservative leader Pierre Poilievre shared condolences on social media for the Toronto officer who was "killed in the line of duty."
"Today my thoughts are with them, and with all officers in uniform who selflessly put themselves in harm’s way to keep Canadians safe," he said.
The loss of Pinizzotto is a "sobering reminder" of the sacrifices made by police across Ontario, said Ontario Premier Doug Ford as he shared condolences online.
Toronto City Coun. James Pasternak said he was deeply saddened to hear an officer was shot on Thursday.
"Our first responders put themselves in harm’s way to keep our communities safe," he said on social media. "We are grateful for their courage, dedication, and service."
The incident took place on the fourth floor of a residential building in the area, said resident Katalin Besenyei. She said she heard a gunshot and banging noises when she woke up.
Besenyei said the incident was "so scary," adding she saw blood on the floor of the elevator this morning.
The provincial Special Investigations Unit (SIU) told CBC News it will be investigating the incident and will share more details later. The province's police watchdog investigates incidents involving police and civilians that have resulted in serious injury, death or allegations of sexual assault.
Related Stories
Canada
Premier says B.C. government will support Canada's countermeasures to U.S.
44 minutes ago
Canada
U.S. administration not unified during trade negotiations, Carney says
44 minutes ago
Canada
Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew 100% behind prime minister's decision to pull out of U.S. trade negotiations
44 minutes ago
Canada
Canadians like to think we're nice. But loaning my car to a stranger made me question what that really means
1 hour ago
Canada
Canadians backing tough response to U.S. tariffs, says Windsor professor
1 hour ago
Canada
'We got attacked': Carney says retaliatory tariffs on U.S. to take effect next month
1 hour ago
Canada
CBC News speaks with Heather Hurlburt about Canada
1 hour ago
Canada
A trade war between Canada and the US deepens rupture in what had been a close and durable alliance
2 hours ago