U.S. can maintain 'indefinite' naval blockade of Iran if needed, Hegseth says
U.S. can maintain 'indefinite' naval blockade of Iran if needed, Hegseth says
2 Abu Dhabi National Oil Company vessels attacked transiting Strait of Hormuz
The United States on Thursday threatened to maintain a naval blockade of Iran indefinitely, ratcheting up economic pressure on Tehran as ceasefire talks have floundered, global oil supply is dropping and regional tensions are rising.
U.S. Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth told reporters that the U.S. military could keep a naval presence in the region to enforce its blockade of Iran, which has inflicted severe economic damage on the country.
"Indefinitely the United States Navy can maintain a blockade like that because we'll rotate ships in and out, as we have, and we'll continue to," Hegseth told reporters on a trip to Panama.
With a tentative June deal to end the war in tatters, Iran has sought to control the Strait of Hormuz and has attacked some vessels trying to transit the strategic waterway, through which a fifth of the world's oil and liquefied natural gas travelled before the war began in February.
Two vessels from the state-owned Abu Dhabi National Oil Company were attacked transiting the strait on Thursday evening, UAE state news agency WAM reported. The United Arab Emirates government condemned it as an Iranian attack.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz fell to eight vessels on Tuesday, compared with a 10-day average of about 12 vessels, and 130 to 140 ships before the war.
Iran rejects Trump's claim of control
U.S. President Donald Trump has repeatedly asserted that the U.S. has "total control" over the strait.
Iran said in an X post that those claims "do not change the reality. The Strait of Hormuz remains blocked and will not be reopened until Iran’s conditions are accepted." Those include removing economic sanctions and releasing frozen Iranian assets.
The U.S. lifted its blockade of Iran's shipping and ports for a month in mid-June but has since reimposed it, cutting off Tehran's primary source of hard currency and compounding earlier losses from wartime strikes on its energy infrastructure.
Washington previously said it would lift the Iranian blockade once Iran and Oman, which sit on either side of the strait, reach an agreement to restore commercial shipping.
Trump has also repeatedly threatened to escalate military strikes and "hit Iran hard," although he has thus far resisted deploying ground troops or seizing strategic islands and bombing desalination plants. Earlier this week, Trump suggested he would rely on economic means, rather than military action.
On Thursday, U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said the United States will soon announce measures that have "never been seen" on Iran.
"Watch this space for more announcements coming next week because we are going to apply measures like have never been seen in the history of economic isolation on a country," Bessent said in an interview on on Newsmax's Rob Schmitt Tonight program.
"It will be a combination of economic isolation like the world has never seen before, and the continued blockade in the Strait of Hormuz that will keep anything from going in or out of the Iranian ports."
Trump is under pressure at home to end a war that is deeply unpopular, with high fuel prices dragging down his approval ratings and potentially eroding his party's control of Congress in midterm elections in November.
Trump says U.S. brimming with weapons, vows to 'hunt down' leakers
The U.S. has tightened economic sanctions against Iran and other individuals and entities that it says are helping it procure weapons, but the pressure campaign has failed to bring Tehran back to the negotiating table.
Stress is mounting on the global economy. The International Energy Agency on Wednesday forecast that global oil supply would fall by 4.3 million barrels per day, or around four per cent, this year.
Just a month ago, the agency had forecast a drop of 3.7 million barrels per day.
Oil prices settled down more than two per cent on Thursday after a week of gain, as investers focused on signs of weaker global demand and a sharp increase in U.S. crude inventories.
But reports that Yemen's Iran-backed Houthis had targeted a Saudi Aramco refinery with drones unsettled the market, renewing concerns about a widening regional war.
Global economists have forecast a sharp drop in global growth as a result of the war, and potentially a swing into recession in some areas, warning that the impact will grow if the war is not ended soon.
Related Stories
World
2026 market outlook: A multidimensional polarization
2 minutes ago
World
Mory Kromah: From one world champion to another | News | Official Site
1 hour ago
World
U.S. ramps up Cuba sanctions, detentions of Americans returning from island
1 hour ago
World
3 injured after donkey jumps into a van, kicking and biting, in northern Germany
2 hours ago
World
Jolly/Pullela Live a Dream
2 hours ago
World
Charter plane crash kills 8 near remote radar site in western Alaska
2 hours ago
World
After GERD, can Egypt shape Ethiopia’s next Nile dams?
4 hours ago
World
US, South Korean militaries wrap up drill early, a day after North Korea's missile barrage
4 hours ago