US lifts restrictions on Anthropic's advanced AI models
The United States has lifted export restrictions on Anthropic's most advanced AI models, the company said late on Tuesday, after Washington suspended access over national security concerns about three weeks ago.
"We've received notice that the Department of Commerce has lifted export controls on Claude Fable 5 and Mythos 5," Anthropic posted on X.
"Claude Fable 5 will be available again globally tomorrow," the company said.
Anthropic to cooperate with US government on AI protocol
The US government had ordered Anthropic on June 12 to suspend access to the advanced models for foreign nationals, including Anthropic employees after identifying potential vulnerabilities that could allow misuse of the technology.
Last week, authorities allowed a small group of American cybersecurity firms access to Mythos 5.
In a letter seen by Reuters, Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick said the restrictions were lifted after Anthropic agreed to:
Lutnick added the department could reimpose restrictions if circumstances change or the company fails to meet its commitments.
US restrictions on advanced AI models
Earlier this month, US President Donald Trump signed an executive order establishing a voluntary framework for AI developers to offer "covered frontier models" to the US government for up to 30 days before releasing them to trusted partners.
The Trump administration's tough approach cites concerns that the advanced AI models could be misused by military or intelligence agencies in China, Russia and other countries.
On Tuesday, CIA Director John Ratcliffe compared the capabilities of the most advanced artificial intelligence models to nuclear weapons.
Anthropic AI shutdown — Security fears or power play?
To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video
Some European lawmakers, meanwhile, described Washington's ability to shut off access as a "kill switch" that reinforced the need for the European Union to secure its own AI sovereignty.
Artificial Intelligence giant OpenAI has also limited the rollout of its latest GPT-5.6 model to vetted partners at the US government's request, while delaying a full public launch.
"This isn't quite the process that we think is optimal," OpenAI CEO Sam Altman posted on X on Friday.
Don't let the algorithm hide the news. If you rely on our team for trusted reporting, please take a moment to select us as your Preferred Source on Google by clicking here and hitting the "star" or "preferred" button, so you'll always see our verified news first.
Related Stories
AI News
What Battery Recycling Could Tell Us About AI’s Role in Experimentation
36 minutes ago
AI News
Outrage over Claude’s AI watermark is missing the most important point
36 minutes ago
AI News
Tech Mahindra expands ServiceNow partnership for enterprise AI adoption
1 hour ago
AI News
Opinion: There are lies, damned lies and AI: why I despise ‘artificial intelligence’
1 hour ago
AI News
AI leaves its mark: One in three web texts is now generated by chatbots
1 hour ago
AI News
Israeli scientists: AI can make personality tests, predict responses
2 hours ago
AI News
Artificial intelligence could push up inflation
2 hours ago
AI News
Alberta technology minister heckled at second town hall on AI data centres as Meta project stokes distrust
3 hours ago