Planning for derailed train recovery under way
Planning to remove the damaged train which derailed near Lewes is under way after investigators completed their inquiries into the incident.
Three carriages of a passenger train came off the track at Lewes on Thursday which left two people with serious but not life-threatening injuries and another 18 taken to hospital.
The line between Lewes and Haywards Heath remains closed with disruption set to continue "until further notice", Southern Railway says.
Lucy McAuliffe, route director for Sussex at Network Rail, said the site had been formally handed back to Network Rail after the Rail Accident Investigation Branch completed its inquiry.
"This allows us to start the next phase of this recovery operation," she explains.
"Engineers, operations teams and industry partners are working together to keep the site safe and plan the next phase."
She says their priority is to recover the derailed carriages, assess the infrastructure and reopen the railway line as soon as possible.
Network Rail said more details of this recovery process would be announced in due course.
Details of the investigation are yet to be released by the Rail Accident Investigation Branch.
The train left the tracks in Lewes at about 15:44 BST on Thursday 13 August.
The incident occurred as the Eastbourne-bound Southern service approached the East Sussex town from London Victoria.
About 150 people were on the train - the 14:24 service from London Victoria to Eastbourne - when it derailed.
All the passengers were evacuated from the carriages with the help of the emergency services.
Passengers are being advised to check their journey before travelling and allow extra time.
Follow BBC Sussex on Facebook, on X, and on Instagram and listen to BBC Radio Sussex on Sounds. Send your story ideas to southeasttoday@bbc.co.uk or WhatsApp us on 08081 002250.
Derailed Lewes train: What do we know so far?
Two seriously hurt as passenger train derails
Weekend cancellations after East Sussex train derailment
Related Stories
Canada
Port Hope’s past fuels pushback on nuclear reactor
51 minutes ago
Canada
Europe, Canada condemn Israeli plans for new West Bank settlement
51 minutes ago
Canada
Provincial leader says Trump is a ‘bad person’ as Canada weighs concessions for trade deal
1 hour ago
Canada
‘Let it sit on the shelf’: Manitoba premier says Canadians should continue avoiding purchase of U.S. liquor
2 hours ago
Canada
Do Canadians plan to buy U.S. booze when it returns? Here’s what we learned
2 hours ago
Canada
Trump pauses 50% tariffs on Canada for 3 days
2 hours ago
Canada
Lithium
3 hours ago
Canada
Vance tells audience at private event that Carney tried to 'out
3 hours ago