Short
Short-term site investigations are set to take place on a historic bridge in Guernsey ahead of its full reconstruction.
The States of Guernsey said the "crumbling" Castle Cornet Bridge would be rebuilt to "modern standards" and was expected to cost about £6.2m. Preparations for the work began last week.
It said a ground penetrating radar survey of the area would take place on 2 and 3 July as "an important step" to ensure the proposed flood defence was designed correctly and in the right place.
Works will also include bore and trial holes being dug between Monday 6 to Friday 10 July which meant some parking in the area would be suspended and pavements closed for short periods of time.
Deputy Adrian Gabriel, environment and infrastructure committee president, said the investigations would make sure the defence was "located in the most appropriate area".
He said: "Spending time understanding the ground conditions, drainage and underground layout now is essential to reduce the risk of unexpected problems later which would cause greater disruption.
"These site investigations are commonplace before larger projects take place, to better ensure good value for money."
The states encouraged islanders to use alternative routes, walk, cycle or to catch the bus to reduce traffic during the dates.
Listen to the latest news for Guernsey
The states said investigators would be checking ground conditions, drainage and what lay beneath the road surface before construction began.
It added that the risk of flooding caused by water overtopping at the bridge seafront was a key consideration for sites allocated for housing in the area as although the risk was small, it was "real".
Gabriel said the defence was important for "unlocking housing, investment and regeneration" and for helping protect existing homes and businesses.
"This is a necessary step to make sure the project is properly informed and delivers best value for the island," he said.
The president added the next stage would be the finalisation of the location and "the detailed design of the defence".
Follow BBC Guernsey on X and Facebook and Instagram. Send your story ideas to channel.islands@bbc.co.uk.
Preparations under way for £6.2m bridge work
Historic bridge to close for £6.2m reconstruction
Crumbling bridge set for reconstruction in 2026
Related Stories
Finance
Ukraine strikes logistics, oil facilities in Russia
2 hours ago
Finance
Investing is simple until markets crash: Why do investors stop SIPs during bloodbaths on Dalal Street?
21 hours ago
Finance
Drugs at their fingertips, intense pressure: Why child stars fall into addiction
1 day ago
Finance
We’ll never be royals: the California town where Prince Harry and Meghan lived says goodbye
1 day ago
Finance
US government declares drought disaster for US Virgin Islands
1 day ago
Finance
Texas slashes $50m judgment against Alex Jones over false claim Sandy Hook shooting was hoax
1 day ago
Finance
Russian double
1 day ago
Finance
Public Finance
1 day ago