Trump says trade deal is 'moving along' as negotiations go down to the wire
OTTAWA — U.S. President Donald Trump told reporters on Friday evening that he’s confident a trade deal with Canada will be reached as negotiators worked feverishly to get an agreement before the president’s midnight deadline.
“The deal with Canada is moving along. And we should be able to have a deal with Canada,” said Trump. “I only make good deals. Much better deals for the United States, both with Canada and Mexico.”
Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc and Chief Trade Negotiator Janice Charette held a new round of meetings with their American counterparts on Friday. The day before, LeBlanc said both sides were “very close” to a deal, but late on Friday evening he told reporters there was still more work to do.
On Wednesday afternoon, Carney and LeBlanc briefed provincial leaders on some details of the agreement to date. Following the meeting, multiple premiers confirmed that Carney had asked them to be ready to return U.S. alcohol on provincial liquor store shelves as a concession to Trump.
“I wouldn’t say that he was begging us, but what is a step before begging?,” Kinew told reporters of Carney’s ask on booze.
“The deal will not be right for me, I expect,” he added. “But it’s not about me, it’s about team Canada.”
Canada and the U.S. are currently in what appear to be the final throes of weeks of intense negotiations to reach a deal that would help avert new 50 per cent tariffs on $29 billion-worth of Canadian goods.
Those tariffs were initially set to kick in at 12:01 a.m. on Wednesday, but Trump extended the deadline until midnight Friday Aug. 21 while negotiators got closer and closer to a deal.
“Our farmers are going to be thrilled; our manufacturers are going to be thrilled,” Trump said, during a press conference in Washington on Wednesday. “And basically, we have no tariffs going into Canada anymore.”
Very little information has trickled out from the Canadian side on the state of the negotiations, or even what Canada is willing to concede to Trump in exchange for preventing new tariffs and relief on existing ones.
On Friday morning, former prime minister Justin Trudeau said Canadians must stay “strong and united” in order for the federal government to get a good deal with the United States.
Trudeau, who has largely stayed out of policy debates since exiting politics in January 2025, spoke briefly to media after attending the inauguration of the Canada’s first 2SLGBTQI+ National Monument near Parliament Hill.
When asked to comment on the ongoing trade negotiations with the U.S., Trudeau said the only reason he was able to get a “good deal” when renegotiating NAFTA with U.S. President Donald Trump in 2018 was Canadians’ unity.
“I had the opportunity and the challenge a number of years ago of renegotiating NAFTA, and the reason we got to a good deal was because Canadians were strong, Canadians were united,” Trudeau said.
Related Stories
Canada
Canadians like to think we're nice. But loaning my car to a stranger made me question what that really means
23 minutes ago
Canada
Canadians backing tough response to U.S. tariffs, says Windsor professor
23 minutes ago
Canada
'We got attacked': Carney says retaliatory tariffs on U.S. to take effect next month
23 minutes ago
Canada
CBC News speaks with Heather Hurlburt about Canada
23 minutes ago
Canada
A trade war between Canada and the US deepens rupture in what had been a close and durable alliance
1 hour ago
Canada
U.S. terms suggested restricting Canada's ability to execute trade deals, Carney says
1 hour ago
Canada
Read Mark Carney's full speech after trade talks with the U.S. collapsed
1 hour ago
Canada
Ontario businesses brace for tariffs after U.S.
1 hour ago